AMC Networks International is the division of AMC Networks that operates outside the United States. AMC Networks commissions and distributes TV channels, content and video services. The division’s operating companies and business units currently own and operate in joint venture a total of 68 branded TV channels and run a suite of digital, on demand and broadband services in Europe. In aggregate, its channels and feeds reach 382 million homes. AMC Networks International also provide a set of advanced digital services, such as ad sales and broadcast solutions to international channel operators.
The company was originally named Chellomedia and was part of Liberty Global. In 2013, it was sold to AMC Networks (a former subsidiary of Cablevision), and was renamed AMC Networks International.
On July 31, 2012, Chellomedia purchased MGM Networks, Inc. from MGM while MGM retaining its United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany and joint ventures in Brazil and Australia. Chellomedia has licensed the MGM brand and content to continue on the purchased MGM channels.
On May 21, 2013, it was announced that Liberty Global had put Chellomedia up for sale. Liberty agreed on October 28 to sell Chellomedia to AMC Networks for $1.035B, except for its Benelux unit. The purchase was completed on February 2, 2014.
AMC Networks International runs its businesses through four business units:
- AMC Networks International UK (EMEA)
- AMC Networks International Central Europe
- AMC Networks International Latin America
- AMC Networks International Southern Europe
- Szablon:Official website
- AMC Networks International UK
- AMC Networks International Iberia
- Netflix Central Europe
- AMC Networks. Leadership. International Executives profiles.
- Liberty Global Q1 2012 Fact Sheet
- The Deadline Team (August 1, 2012) UPDATE: MGM Networks Sale To Chellomedia To Fund BuyBack of Icahn Shares: LAT. Deadline.com.
- Fritz, Ben. (August 01, 2012) MGM sells overseas channels amid Icahn buyback, IPO preparation. LA Times.
- Tartaglione, Nancy. (2013-10-28) AMC Networks To Pay $1B For Liberty Global’s Chellomedia. Deadline.com. Accessed on October 28, 2013.
- Deadline.com: Chellomedia Rebranded As AMC Networks International
- BroadbandTVNews.com: Chellomedia to become AMC Networks International
- AMC Networks Press Release: AMC Networks Re-Brands Chellomedia to “AMC Networks International”